Need a reason to shop at a farmers’ market? We have a few…
Within the past few years, farmers’ markets have become more and more popular. If you’re not used to shopping at them, it’s hard to see what the big deal is and when you’re used to shopping at your usual store the idea of changing up your routine isn’t very tempting.
There is a reason – several, actually – why so many people love going to the farmers’ market. Some of the most common are:
- Many farmers’ market vendors now accept SNAP for fruits and vegetables, so buying them is, well, a snap.
- Fruits and vegetables are in season, and picked at the peak of their flavor and nutritional value. In other words, they’re the best tasting and the best for you and your family.
- When you shop at a farmers’ market, you’re supporting farmers in your community. Your local farms are basically small businesses, and they need community support to survive.
- You know where your food comes from, and if you’re in a rural area, you may literally know the roads that some of these farms are on. At a farmers’ market, you won’t find any stickers saying “Product of Chile.”
- If you’re not sure how to prepare something, you can be sure the farmer does. You’ll be surprised how much time you’ll spend chatting with the vendors, learning about their farms and their products (and not always because you have to, but because you want to!).
- If the market is outside, you get fresh air, and our winters are too long to spend the nicer months indoors!
Here’s what’s being picked this week*:
*Availability will vary by market due to differences in the climate county to county.